Do you store foods you shouldn’t?

It’s time for me to live up to some of my promises. One of my commenters graciously welcomed me back and said she was looking forward to hearing about some of the topics I listed as “coming up.”

Uh. Oh. Unfortunately, once again: this post isn’t in the list of promised posts in the sidebar. I have failed again! But somehow, food just seems to keep bubbling up to the top of my favorite things to write about.

When looking at most prepper sites, what are the recommendations for food storage, specifically? Well, the old saying “beans and bullets” is a start (well the beans part is), but often, the next recommendation is for wheat. Lots of wheat, with a manual grinder thrown in.  Rice, millet, corn – lots of corn, too.

Double Uh. Oh. We don’t eat wheat, rice, millet or corn. We haven’t eaten any of these foods  in 10+ years and while I’d rather live than die, why not keep in mind what we really eat and store that? Because after all, what would be the purpose of wasting space on food that we know we wouldn’t eat?

My husband and I live a low carbohydrate lifestyle, by choice. We find foods that are high in carbohydrates, particularly grains and sugars, to cause us to be sick and fat. Who wants to be sick and fat? So, we don’t store them, but given that meat is expensive and most low carbohydrate vegetables are not high in calories, what should we store that will give us a high-enough source of calories that 1) won’t make us sick and 2) last a long time?

What we have concentrated on, to date has been

Image credit: Wiki Images

– meats, including chicken, beef (mostly frozen, but some canned), and fish.  Variety things like vienna sausages (for hubby only) and anchovies, sardines, herring.

– low carbohydrate vegetables like tomatoes, green beans, and mushrooms, with an occasional root vegetable like beets thrown in.

– meat substitutes, like peanut butter (this would be much more successful if I stayed out of the peanut butter and actually allowed it to accumulate)!

– milk and milk substitutes.  I love, double-love evaporated milk.  I tolerate skim milk powder, but I have also found a brand of whole-milk powder that is more satisfying

– condiments, including cocoa, water flavorings, low-carb catsup, though I can make this myself, some artificial sweeteners, and various freeze-dried coffees.

Of the higher-carbohydrate selections, we have no-sugar-added fruits and some rolled oats, though not many. (Again, this is a nod to my preferences – I love raw oats).  We also have a few dried and freeze-dried fruits.

Somehow, it doesn’t seem as though we have enough, though lower carb foods are remarkable in that they suppress hunger in a way that sugary, carby foods can’t.

Do any of you live a similar low-carbohydrate lifestyle, and if so, what foods are you storing?  If you store high-carb foods, what has been your thought process concerning storing these foods?

© 2011 – 2015, DFW Preppers and Survivors. All rights reserved.

This entry was posted in Cooking, Food Preservation and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Do you store foods you shouldn’t?

1. KJ says:

This is an interesting blog as I know people who are gluten intolerant, and I know if I eat bread too often I feel bloated and sick. So what do you store? I had never really though about it, though I know your blog is about low carbs, but intolerances makes for the same question.

I think I will have to look into the further. Maybe for us it would things like LSA to add a little extra health into things, though are nuts low carb? You do have peanut butter on your list so must be 🙂

• Georgene says:

Hi, KJ!

Many people believe that everyone is gluten intolerant – just to different degrees. That’s mainly because the human digestive system didn’t evolve to handle grains of any sort, and grains haven’t been around long enough for the species to adapt. I personally have no immediate issues with gluten (aka feeling bloated and sick), though I do know it’s really not good for you, and I do know people who do have problems with it like you do.

I am not sure what your reference to LSA is, though yes, nuts are “pretty much” low carb (“pretty much” being relative, of course). Nuts are certainly lower carb than bread or potatoes or candy! So I include nuts in the foods that I eat, but storage is somewhat problematic, since because of their high fat content, they tend to go rancid fairly quickly. The freezer is great for nut storage, but in a grid-down situation, the freezer won’t be of much help!

Keep in mind that peanut butter is not, repeat NOT made from nuts, because peanuts are actually a legume. Even at that, peanut butter is considered moderate-to-low carb, as long as you don’t buy the kind that has sugar added (hard to find, but you can always make your own)!.

2. KJ says:

LSA is ground Linseed, Sunflower and Almonds, must be an Australian thing I guess if you don’t know about it. You can add it to nearly anything you cook for extra goodness.

Yeah, I forget about that and still think of peanuts as nuts. I can get organic peanut butter with no sugar added but have to keep it in the fridge. They do grow peanuts near here and may look at making my own as they are cheap to buy 🙂

• Georgene says:

LSA – very interesting! Here in the US, “linseed” is known as flaxseed, and it forms the basis for many a low-carbohydrate food. I eat it all the time. Sunflower seeds make a GREAT peanut butter substitute, and is used frequently by people who are allergic to peanuts. Almonds, of course, are – almonds, and they are delicious! All these things are used here; they just normally aren’t ground and combined. I may try that!

3. Bitsy says:

I eat a pretty high carb diet, and most of my food storage is carbs, too (pasta, rice, too). Partly because it’s what I eat, partly because it’s cheap, and partly because it has a relatively long shelf-stable life.

However, Hubby is always on me to get/store more meat. I guess he’s worried he might have to become a vegetarian if the fecal matter ever hits the fan! I just don’t really know what kind of meat to get. I’m worried about too much fresh meat that we freeze (afraid it would go bad before we can eat it), and we never eat canned meat so that would expire before we used it too. I thought about just investing in some freeze dried meat, but that’s really pricey. So…. at this point, I don’t really have much meat stored except a couple of cans of tuna, but I would like to add some in.

• Georgene says:

Bitsy, I love your blog! I’m going to link it in my sidebar. Looks like that guy in the video has his own grocery store!

I understand your husband’s concern about being “stuck” as a vegetarian – meat is so good for you and it has the protein your body needs! So, while I understand you “never eat canned meat,” perhaps you should invest in a canner and can your own meat. I have found that to be the best solution for me. I believe I have a post on it here:

The Pressure’s On

4. Riverwalker says:

Simply put…Store what you eat and eat what you store!

• Georgene says:

Agreed, Riverwalker, but there are some problems when one’s diet is primarily high-fat. Many fats don’t store all that well, unless you are an Eskimo 🙂 , but one exception is coconut oil which is mucho expensive. I probably will look into discussing that in the near future.

5. M L Morgan says:

I have an immense food storage built up for just two people and it is made entirely of things we LIKE to eat – we are both kind of picky. I have not purchased anything in bulk or anything we do not usually use. I have just inventoried the whole lot and packed it in boxed marked “Christmas” which I will pile up in a guest bedroom closet. We are about to list our house for sale and I could not find a way to hide all that food from potential buyers so I have purposely mislabeled it. I’m just hoping people will think I am one of those crazy holiday ladies – IF we get anyone to come look at the house int he first place. We DEEPLY desire to make a move to the country very soon.

I found a lack of protein in my food storage too and would like to fill it with meat. I have the peanut butter and the tuna and even some nice cans of Swanson chicken I found at Sam’s Club. But I decided canning meat is the only financially sound way to go so I’ve obtained a pressure canner and will take my first stab at it this weekend. I’m pretty excited. More Christmas boxes going to be packed up soon, I hope.

Food was all about hospitality, celebration and love in my family – still is. I have been sure to stock up on not only what we need and will eat but also what gives us joy and comfort. Those items will be very special after some hard work or tense days.

6. Pingback: Low Carb Food Storage « thesustainablehome

7. Pingback: weight Loss Tips|Diet Plans|Health Food

8. Pingback: low carb diät

9. Lin says:

Hi Georgene,

I’ve just discovered your blog here and love the fact that you’re local, and of course that you’re discussing these specific topics. Please tell whoever wrote the post about saving nickels I said thanks for that info, I didn’t know that. I’ve now subscribed via RSS (I’d prefer email sub though), and will be following the blog and commenting from time to time. Nice to “meet” you.

Comments are closed.